How to register hindu marriage in Chennai

  • deepak
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #53 by deepak
i am a hindu brahmin ,my marriage was happened in Delhi in the year 1997 . Now i am living in Chennai . How to do register hindu marriage in Chennai. What are the documents required for hind marriage registration ?
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by deepak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #66 by sana
Hindu marriage can be registered any time after time limit for to do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #727 by marriage attorney
hindu marriage registration procedure in Andra pradesh
Registration under Hindu Marriage
Application for marriage filled in prescribed form with name and address of bridegroom and bride, signature of bride and bridegroom, signature of 3 attesting witness present at the time of marriage along with their name and address, joint photo of bride and bridegroom, wedding card, Date of Birth proof certificates like SSC marks memo, copies of passport, residential proof should be presented to the Registrar of Marriage.
Marriage officer will verify the contents of the application and records. He will issue certificate of marriage if he is satisfied that the records produced are in accordance with law
There is no time limit fixed. It can be registered any time after marriage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #728 by marriage attorney
hindu marriage registration-documents required in Chennai and Tamilnadu

i) Registration of Hindu Marriages Solemnized and granting of extract of marriages registered.

· Marriages solemnized under Hindu customs/ non-customary

· Bridegroom/Bride should have completed 21/18 years respectively

· Both of them should be Hindus, Buddhist or Sikhs

· Proof of marriage

· Anyone of the following place should fall within the jurisdiction of the Registering officer:

o Residence of bride.

o Residence of bridegroom.

o Solemnization place.

Proof for all these shall be given


Wedding Invitation (or)

Temple Marriage Receipts (or)

Any proof of marriage solemnization


Employee ID Card (or)

Ration Card (or)

Driving License (or)

Passport or Visa

3. AGE

Birth Certificate (or)

School/College Certificate (or)

Passport / Visa
4.Three witnesses in person.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #729 by marriage attorney
Documents needed for application of Certificate of Hindu Marriage in Karnataka

The following documents are needed in original and photocopy form to be submitted along with the application form for the marriage certificate.

Six (6) copies of joint photographs of bridegroom and bride in a blue or white background in 2B size.
Two photographs of the bride and groom in marriage dress taken while the marriage ceremony was in progress and which shows that they are taking part in the ceremony.
One copy of wedding card.
Identity proof of both the bride and the groom (Pan card or Voter ID card or Passport, etc)
Address proof of the husband (Passport, Driving License, House Rent Agreement, Telephone Bill, Ration Card)
Age proof of both bride and groom (10th Std. Mark sheet with birth date on it or Passport)
Affidavit in case of the name change of bride after the marriage.
Newspaper in which the name-change information was published.
Procedure to apply for Certificate of Marriage in Karnataka

Visit the sub registrar office nearest to your residence and get the prescribed application form for marriage certificate from the office.
Or download the form from online sources like
Fill in the details carefully in the form. If the bride has a name change after the marriage, be sure to write the new name in the form, and not the old name
Get the form signed by three witnesses. Friends and relatives can act as witness
Submit the filled-in form and the required documents at the sub registrar office. They will verify the information and provide the applicant with six printouts of the information provided in the application form.
Both the bridegroom and the bride must put their signature on the printouts in the specified area
The printouts are then stamped and signed by the Registrar of Marriage
The sub registrar’s office hands over two copies of the marriage certificates to the bridegroom and the bride and retains the other copies for their official records.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #730 by marriage attorney
Hindu marriage and special marriage registration procedure for already married:-
Registration of Marriages which have already been solemnised.

Q. Where do I have to go and during which hours?

To the office of Sub-Divisional Magistrate in whose jurisdiction any of the husband or wife resides, during 9.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. on any working day.Click Here to obtain the contact address of the SDM in whose jurisdiction in your colony lies.
Q. Which papers/documents/fees, do I take with me?

Application form duly signed by both husband and wife.
Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate) Minimum age of both parties is 21 years at the time of registration under the Special Marriage Act.
Ration card of husband or wife whose area SDM has been approached for the certificate.
In case of Special Marriage Act, documentary evidence regarding stay in Delhi of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO).
Affidavit by both the parties stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
Two passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph.
Marriage invitation card, if available.
If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
Rs. 100/- in case of Hindu Marriage Act and Rs.150/- in case of Special Marriage Act to be deposited with the cashier of District and the receipt should be attached with the application form.
Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Hindu Marriage Act or Special Marriage Act as the case may be. For details of such relationships Click here.
Attested copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu, Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage(in case of Hindu Marriage Act).
All documents excluding receipt should be attested by a Gazetted Officer.

Q. What will be the criteria used while deciding my case?

A) Hindu Marriage Act

Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed and communicated to the parties for registration. On the said day, both parties, alongwith a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, need to be present before the SDM. The Certificate is issued on the same day.
B) Special Marriage Act

Both parties are required to be present after submission of documents for issuance of public notice inviting objections. One copy of notice is pasted on the notice board of the office and copy of the notice is sent by registered post to both parties as per address given by them. Registration is done 30 days after the date of notice after deciding any objection that may have been received during that period by the SDM. Both parties alongwith three witnesses are required to be present on the date of registration.
Q. What are the relevant Forms?

Click here for Application Form for registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act.
Click here for Application Form for registration of marriage under Special Marriage Act.
Click here for Identification Certificate a)any person having PAN of income Tax (OR) b) any officer/official of Central or State govt. or UT Administration or PSU/Autonomous bodies whose identity can be established
Click here for Affidavit
Q. When will I get a response?

You should be getting a response normally within 15 days in case of registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act and 60 days under Special Marriage Act.

Degree of Prohibited relationship as per the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955

Section 3 (f):

"Sapinda relationship" with reference to any person extends as far as the third generation (inclusive) in the line of ascent through the mother, and the fifth (inclusive) in the line of ascent through the father, the line being traced upwards in each case from the person concerned, who is to be counted as the first generation;
two persons are said to "sapindas" of each other if one is a lineal ascendant of the other within the limits of sapinda relationship, or if they have a common lineal ascendant who is within the limits of sapinda relationship with reference to each of them;
Section 3 (g):

"degrees of prohibited relationship" – two persons are said to be within the "degrees of prohibited relationship" –
if one is a lineal ascendant of the other; or
if one was the wife or husband of a lineal ascendant or descendant of the other; or
if one was the wife of the brother or the father’s or mother’s brother or of the grandfather’s or grandmother’s brother of the other; or
if the two are brother and sister, uncle and niece, aunt and nephew, or children of brother and sister or of two brothers or of two sisters;
Explanation – For the purposes of clauses 3(f) and 3(g), relationship includes –
relationship by half or uterine blood as well as by full blood;
illegitimate blood relationship as well as legitimate;
relationship by adoption as well as by blood;
and all terms of relationship in those clauses shall be construed accordingly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.